Thursday, May 23, 2013

And the Rains Came

Boy did the rains come!  The eggplant starts were drowning - I had to go empty their pans several times.  Everybody else drained well but one tomato and one basil fell over, presumably from the pounding.  Gotta stake the tomato.


Sorry the basil's blurry.  The neighbor's dog snuck up behind me and YAPPED just as I pushed the button.  Both of us popped straight up in the air (me with a curse), and I fled for the house.

When I realized it was him I went flying back out the door yelling, "Go home you little bastard!!  And don't BARK at me!!"  Of course, he went - quickly, tail between his legs.


Along with the rootbound begonias (haven't had time to put them in), the herbs seem to be happy.  Especially the spearmint on the left, and the rosemary.  The dill is still lying over but it was on the 50% off rack at Lowe's.  I'm going to divide them and see if they'll come back.  Sometime soon.  Really, I will!

And here are my 7 day old chicks. They're actually starting to feather out!  The ones on the left look dead but they're just like all babies - they fall asleep where they stand, the bird brains.  And they are bird brains.  They didn't even try to peck the corn cob I put in there.  They use it as a pillow:


 

 Slow days after the rains, waiting for the garden to dry out enough to work the dirt and plant the plants.  More tomorrow, though, when everything should be dry (and I'll be exhausted, LOL).


No comments:

Post a Comment